Re: Re: [Xen-users] XEON 5640 ENABLE C3 / C6 and other settings

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 01:09 +1000, David Moore wrote:
> There are a number of settings in the Bios of the servers I build can
> somebody clarify best practice settings for the Xen Cloud 0.5
>
>  () = MY SETTINGS
>
> PROCESSOR QPI FREQ SELECT (AUTO MAX)
> QPI TURBO BOOST (ENABLED)
> ENHANCED INTEL TURBO BOOST (ENABLED)
> ENHANCED INTEL SPEEDSTEP (R) TECH (ENABLED)
> TURBO PERFORMANCE BIAS (ENHANCED)
> PROCESSOR C3 (ACPI C3)
> PROCESSOR C6 (ENABLED)
> INTEL HYPER-THREADING TECH (ENABLED)
> CORE MULTIPROCESSING (ALL)
> EXECUTE DISABLE BIT (ENABLED)
> INTEL VT TECH (ENABLED)
> INTEL VT FOR DIRECTED I/O (DISABLED)
> HARDWARE PRE-FETCHER (ENABLED)
>  DIRECT CACH ACCESS (DCA) (ENABLED)
>

> Regards David Moore
> moored@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> J.P. MCP, MCSE, MCSE + INTERNET, CNE.
> www.adsldirect.com.au for ADSL and Internet www.romtech.com.au for PC sales
>
> Office Phone: (+612) 9453 1990
> Fax Phone: (+612) 9453 1880
> Mobile Phone: +61(0)424 987 789
> Skype Phone: ADSLDIRECT
>
> POSTAL ADDRESS:
> PO BOX 190
> BELROSE NSW 2085
> AUSTRALIA.

Hi there,

I'm not expert in this area, but as far i remember, using Hyper
Threading in Xen used to be counterproductive, because the fake HT cores
doesn't have own processing power (if this has changed, somebody correct
me please! :) ).

Also the INTEL VT FOR DIRECTED I/O functionality might be useful for
pci-passthru scenarios. (truth to be said, if you are going for XCP, I
guess you will be not using pci-passthru )

Regards

Matej