Re: [Xen-users] Why does my DomU keep going mad?

On 26/07/2010 14:44, Adi Kriegisch wrote:
Hi!

   I've got a DomU that sometimes goes mad. I can't ssh or usually even
console to it. The time I did manage to console I got a load of dumps
about being out of memory and swap, but couldn't run any commands to
find out which process had gone mad :(
You could monitor your services for memory consumption?
Something like
   ps -e -orss=,args= | sort -b -k1,1n
or
   ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 4
maybe with
   ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 4 | head -10
shows sorted memory consumption by process or you might rather want to use
a monitoring tool like sar, nagios, or whatever to find out which process
causes this...

These are useful thanks, although ps doesn't use - (just to be awkward, everything else does).

I looked at nagios a few years ago, it looked great, but like I'd have to take a week out to set it up. If there anything lightweight I could make? I guess I could write a Perl daemon that runs that ps command every 10 seconds or something and logs the output to a file... Seems like the sort of thing that should all ready be available though...
  Anyone else had an issue like this?

Lyle