Re: [Xen-users] Can I rename logical volumes without problems?

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Mauro <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:03:20 +0200
  • Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:11:05 -0700

2010/7/29 Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM, George Shuklin
> <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ð ÐÑÐ, 29/07/2010 Ð 13:28 +0200, Mauro ÐÐÑÐÑ:
>
>>> I've logged in my VM and do shutdown, then I logged into dom0 renamed
>>> logical volumes, modify VM config file and do xm create VM.cfg.
>>> Is it right?
>>
>> Not excactly, I think, you must destroy domU for that VM (it shall not
>> appear in xm list). If shutdown destory domU, that's fine. If not, you
>> must destroy it manually (after shutdown).
>
> AFAIK the main thing is to make sure that the domU will be using the
> new config when it's started.
>
> You raise a good point though. If the domU still shows on "xm list"
> after it's shutdown beause it's managed by xend (like what happens if
> you create it with "xm new", or if you set it up using newer versions
> of virt-install/virt-manager), then it's still using the old config.
> You need to delete it first ("xm delete"). That would not be a problem
> if you only use old-style domU config (like with RHEL/Centos5 and it's
> bundled version of Xen).

I'm using linux on dom0 and in all my domU.
If I do a shutdown wih the command "halt" then xm list doesn't show my
domU so I think it is destroyed.
However I do a shutdown, with xm list I don't see the domU, renamed
logical volumes, changed the config file and do a xm create VM.cfg.
After a while domU starts and it seems all ok.