RE: [Xen-users] xen vlans in domU

  • To: "Alexander Kriventsov" <avk@xxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:49:03 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 02:50:20 -0700

> Hello.
> I'm trying to use vlan in domU, but have something strange:
> I created bridge on eth0. This interface was configured as trunk with
> vlan 300, 301. I use this bridge in my domU, and I can see tagged
> packets when run tcpdump in domU. Also I created interface on domU to
> work with vlan 300. On this interface I see untagged packets in vlan300.
> And everything looks fine.
> But when I'm trying to send out packets through interface with vlan300
> something happen. On domU in eth0 interface i see that packet was tagged
> as vlan 300, but on dom0 I see that package doesn't have tag and sending
> to switch as untagged which is incorrect.
>
> Why does kernel remove tag from outgoing packets?
> Is anyone using trunk inside of domU?
>
> I'm using xen 3.4.3 on Centos 5.5 with kernel 2.6.18.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you want to do, but I think you need to
use ebtables, in particular the 'broute' table, to tell Linux how you want
tagged packets to behave. One thing I was never able to do was to tell Linux to
place a copy of the tagged packet on one bridge so that I could have a trunk to
a DomU whilst simultaneously l2 routing packets to their correct interfaces.

James