[Xen-users] Any experiences using glusterfs (2.0.8?/3.0.5?) with xen 3.4.3 on CentOS 5.5 around ?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Balg, Andreas" <a.balg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:57:07 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:08:40 -0700

Hello everybody,

did anybody setup and use xen hosts using glusterfs to share storage and allow
live-migration?

I currently have a bunch of fast unused xeon-servers with 6x146GB SAS Storage
but currently do not have a free SAN or iSCSI NAS, this is why I thought about
using xen and sharing/replicating the LOCAL storage of these boxes using
glusterfs and virtualizing machines on them at the same time.

Can this be a stable setup? Would it perform well? Why wouldn't I want to do
that? Any experiences doing such a setup?

Of course I could configure some of them as dedicated NAS - but that's not the
idea. Glusterfs might give very good scalability and speed if vm-images reside
locally and will only replicate to other machines in order to have redundance
and allow live migration.

Thank you very much for sharing any thoughts or experiences.

Andreas

XiNCS GmbH              MwST-Nr: 695 740
Schmidshaus 118         HR-Nr:   CH-300.4.015.621-9
CH-9064 Hundwil AR

Webseite:       http://www.xincs.eu
AGB:            http://www.xincs.eu/agb.html
Tel.            +41 (0)31 526 50 95