Re: [Xen-users] hvm boot causing dom0 to crash

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:32:34AM -0500, Mark Chaney wrote:
> Nothing had changed on the dom0 that I know of. Other guests on running
> on that dom0 fine and its stable. Nothing happens until I try starting
> that hvm. As far as the HVM, I had run aptitude update/upgrade on it,
> but it the day before, but I had done that with the other debian hvm on
> the other dom0 and its not having issues. =/

Set up a serial console and capture the hypervisor and kernel messages
when the crash happens:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

-- Pasi

> - Mark
>
> On 07/20/2010 07:30 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 03:27:47AM -0500, Mark Chaney wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Xen 3.4.3 on CentOS 5.5 x86_64, with kernel
>>> 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5xen. My fully virtualized guest (HVM) is running Debian 5
>>> with kernel 2.6.33 x86_64. The debian guest had been running for over 10
>>> days with no issues until i rebooted it. Now every time i try to start up
>>> the guest, the entire dom0 crashes and reboots. Whats odd is that I have a
>>> very similar debian guest (used the same appliance iso) running on another
>>> dom0 that is not having these same issues. They are at two different
>>> locations, so I cant easily test the troublesome guest on a different dom0
>>> and vice versa. This last time i tried to start the guest it seemed to go
>>> almost through the boot processes, but then suddenly rebooted the guest and
>>> it got all the way to the starting firewall part before it crashed the dom0.
>>>
>>> Below if the guests cfg if it helps:
>>>
>>> name = "mailcleaner_ent_mx2"
>>> maxmem = 4096
>>> memory = 1024
>>> vcpus = 2
>>> builder = "hvm"
>>> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>>> boot = "c"
>>> pae = 1
>>> acpi = 1
>>> apic = 1
>>> localtime = 0
>>> on_poweroff = "destroy"
>>> on_reboot = "restart"
>>> on_crash = "restart"
>>> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
>>> vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,keymap=en-us" ]
>>> disk = [ "phy:/dev/VolGroup00/mailcleaner_ent_mx2,hda,w", ",hdc:cdrom,r" ]
>>> vif = [
>>> "mac=00:16:36:47:cc:e3,bridge=eth0,script=vif-bridge,vifname=vif-1.0" ]
>>> parallel = "none"