Re: [Xen-users] problem with static routes

> What I meant was whether the static route setup works without Xen. It
> should be something as simple as:
> - installing normal (non-xen) kernel (if not already installed) on one
> of the nodes
> - reboot choosing that kernel

Not so simple, because if I boot a cluster node that doesn't start Xen
resources properly, this can cause a stonith death match (where the two
nodes keep killing each other, or the working node keeps killing the
non-working node). What this means is that I would have to disable the
cluster software as well (at least on the testing node), which makes it
not quite this simple. Still it is a test that I could do and I'll find
a time when I can do it. It requires rebooting some of the DomU's to
move them between nodes, so I can't do this during the work day.

For the present this is non-urgent because adding the routes back at the
end of the network-bridge script at least causes the routes to be
present after startup. The only problem is that the routes disappear
again when a cluster node is taken offline (out of the cluster), but
that is never left that way for a long period of time, so the workaround
is acceptable for now.

The static routes, of course, only affect the Dom0 since the DomU's have
their own routing tables. Mainly it causes my backups to our mass
storage device to fail because the connection comes from the wrong
interface (and therefore the wrong IP address). So while I do want to
eventually track this down, it's not an urgent priority.

Thanks for the pointers though, it should help in troubleshooting.

> Is it part of /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge?

Yes. There are a lot of "ip route" commands in there, including "ip
route del". But it is fairly convoluted where commands to execute are
created with sed scripts, so it isn't exactly clear what it is doing or
trying to do there. I don't fully understand how Linux bridging works
either.

--Greg