Re: [Xen-users] A bit help needed

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Miladin Stojkovic <mikilance@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Xen users,
>
> i have one question that concerns xen and hvm.
> I have problem with network-route working with hvm guest machines. Main
> problem is that interface named in vif isnt the one that routing should go
> by. The interface is tapx.x, but that interface changes its name with every
> guest restart.
> So my question is how to fix this ?
> Does anyone has some script that will change route with correct new tap
> interface name , or patch for vif-route?

I'd actualy suggest you use network-bridge instead. Much easier to
manage. Install libvirt (which will help you create virbr0 that
provides NAT networking) if needed.

That being said, Xen 4.0 should give you persistent device names. If
you have something like this on HVM domU config

vif =   [
        'mac=00:16:3E:63:2E:90, vifname=test-eth0',
        ]

you'd get two interface on dom0 that represents that vif, one named
"test-eth0" (the vif interface, used when domU has PV drivers), and
"tap-test-eth0" (the tap interface, recognized as emulated realtek by
default on domU). Just make sure you use short-enough vifname (8 chars
or so will do).

Previously the tap interface (on Xen 3.4.2 anyway) was named tapx.y (x
and y are numbers) regardles what you put in vifname.

--
Fajar