[Xen-users] Re: Why pv-on-hvm drivers?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Markus Schuster <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:59:26 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 02:01:42 -0700
  • Followup-to: gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 01:29:19AM +0200, Markus Schuster wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I've read about recent efforts to push pv-on-hvm drivers to Linux
>> mainline and I'm curious to know the cause for this. What's the advantage
>> over using pv_ops directly and booting the kernel paravirtualized?
>
> The other point is performance: 32bit PV (paravirtualized) guests
> perform OK, but 64bit PV guests have a performance hit if your
> workload creates a lot of new processes in the guest.
>
> HVM helps there; 64bit Linux guests might be faster as HVM,
> depending on the workload.

Hi Parsi, thanks for your (as usual :)) good answer.
That's the first time I read about a PV performance hit compared to HVM -
maybe you (or someone else) can write a few words about what's causing that?
Could be interesting for other people, maybe?

Regards,
Markus