[Xen-users] VGA passthrough problems with GeForce GTS 250 and P7Q57-M DO (also: LGA1156 boards with working VT-d)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew Warkentin <andreww591@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:08:20 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:09:48 -0700

I am trying to pass an eVGA GeForce GTS 250 to a Windows XP 32-bit
domU. I am using an ASUS P7Q57-M DO motherboard (with the BIOS updated
to the latest version) with a Core i5-660 processor. I am using the
current unstable version of Debian as dom0 (kernel version
2.6.32-5-xen-amd64), with the current Debian unstable package of Xen
4.0.1. When I boot the XP domU with graphics passthrough enabled,
nothing happens (the domU starts up, but all I see are the last boot
messages from Xen).

I also tried passing through the onboard audio adapter to Windows XP,
and the driver loads and recognizes the adapter, but actually playing
sounds doesn't appear to work. I am not sure if the graphics
passthrough failure is related to the problem with the onboard audio
(and therefore a motherboard/CPU problem), or if it has to do with the
graphics card itself. I know that some NVIDIA cards require Xen
patches to be passed through, but I am not sure where to find patches
that will work with Xen 4.0.1 (the ones that I found were from August
2009, and I get failed hunks when I try to apply them to Xen 4.0.1).

Does anybody know if there are vBAR=pBAR patches available for Xen
4.0.1 (or if they have been integrated into the current Xen
development tree)? Alternatively, if this is a motherboard problem,
does anybody know of any LGA1156 motherboards that definitely have
working VT-d?