RE: [Xen-users] High iowait every day at the same time.

  • To: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:34:53 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:36:57 -0700

Debian
> >4.0). About 120 guest domains.
> >Every day exactly at 08:25 AM, high iowait ~99% load starts and lasts
> >for about 50 minutes.
> >
> >When guests domains are shut down, the problem is not appearing.
> >There is no tasks in crontab on Domain0 and on guest domains.
>
> By default, Debian runs a bunch of tasks at 6:25, have a look in
> /etc/cron.* and /etc/crontab. I see you are in a +2 timezone, so that
would make 6:25
> into 8:25 by my reckoning.

We don't run Debian but have had to make similar adjustments.  On CentOS
for instance, remove the "mlocate" package.

Log rotation still runs daily on our domU hosts--I've considered
staggering the times so they don't all run at 4 AM.

(Seriously, is there a Linux OS designed for virtualization.  No matter
which I've started with, I end up stripping them down to the essentials.
I've been meaning to take a look at Amazon's Linux AMI for EC2 to see
how it measures up.)

-Jeff