Re: [Xen-users] Can't create HVM guest using 4.0.1

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am just rebuilding my Xen box (CentOS 5.5), and I thought it would be good idea to install Xen 4.0.1 (from Gitco), instead of 3.4.3 which is what I used to use.

I can't seem to create hardware guests.

... and the error message is ...?
/var/log/xen/xend.log is usually a good place to start looking.

PV guests are okay. Whilst researching the issue, I noticed this (see below) in xm dmesg.... I found a bug report, but it doesn't say if there is a work-around

(XEN) AMD-Vi: IOMMU not found!
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled

Is this the lifely cause of my issue.

It shouldn't be the cause.
However some user have problem using Xen 4.0.1 with the stock RHEL/Centos kernel-xen, while some others reported it works just fine. I'd actually recommend you stick with Xen 3.4.3 for now. Personally, I have RHEL5 a devel box with Xen 4.0, but with custom kernel compiled (using patches from http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/)

--
Fajar