[Xen-users] installing hypervisor on domU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: David Grundy <dagrundy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:52:37 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:54:01 -0700

Hello All:

I don't think that this question was ever posed to this mailing list (at
least not that I have seen). I am trying to set up a testbed for
provisioning customized VMs. The only environment that I have root
access to is on a VM running Scientific Linux 5.5 and I was hoping that
I could install the Xen hypervisor on a domU so that I can simulate our
production environment and have vm creation and destroy capabilities
from inside a VM. Is this possible using Xen. I saw this similar
question posed here

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-90/run-multiple-xen-dom0s-on-same-machine-821872/

and it sounds as though they found a way to make this work using an
evaluation copy of VMWare ESXi. It would be very nice to know if anyone
in the community knows of a way to implement this idea using Xen.

I tried to naively install xen and xen-libs on my VM and encountered the
same result as described at the above link. The VM would come up but
xend would not start. Is this even possible. Any advice or insight
would be greatly appreciated.

David