[Xen-users] resolv.conf setup?

I recently ran into an apparent contradiction in the behaviour of a Xen domU. I could get to it just fine from the outside world but when using the virt-manager console at the server I could not get out. This was traced to (I think) the fact that this is a dual nic server, and the domU was set up with one nic (at that time attached to a lan) and then subsequently used on a static IP from an isp on the other nic. So I've solved that particular problem by using a non-local name server, bur would like to know how resolv.conf gets its initial values. Does vm take whatever it finds? I don't remember being asked what name server to use. Pointers to docs?

TIA

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
  Krishnamurti