Re: [Xen-users] RE: Build linux-image.deb via make-kpkg for 2.6.34.7 xenified aka Suse

On 10/26/2010 05:02 AM, Boris Derzhavets wrote:
> I could be wrong here but I think this is a matter of xen itself did not
> always support bzImage kernel boot until sometime later in version 3.X
> and make-kpkg hasn't been updated to allow for it.

Yes, you are wrong.  It has nothing to do with Xen.
make-kpkg requires presence arch/x86/boot/bzImage to be built , otherwise
it fails.
Patch applies to arch/x86/Makefile in the way which build required bzImage,
not vmlinuz , as happens without it.

Boris.
BTW . I guess  Xen support bzImage starting with 3.4.0

-

I think you meant I'm wrong about having to do with make-kpkg.  If Xen did not support bzImage until 3.4.0 then I think that had plenty to do with why the Makefile is patched the way it is.  make-kpkg is able to build vmlinuz or bzImage as you want with a vanilla kernel, so why not with a Xenified kernel?

With andrew's patch applied it appears that the else condition would still allow for also building the bzImage target but that fails even when passing the --bzimage switch to make-kpkg.  Either something is wrong with the Makefile or maybe there are some arch Xen specific build rules coming in to play.