RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.2 networking help

  • To: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:05:27 +0100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:08:32 -0700

When a bridge is involved, there is a problem with physdev match (if
I recall correctly) which means that outbound traffic on the firewall
machine cannot be filtered because of the sequence in which the net
stack does operations. The practical result is that you cannot apply
rules filtering traffic which originates on the firewall and leaves
via a bridge interface. I vaguely recall it's to do with the
matching/filtering happening before the outbound interface is
determined - and that in turn is related to requirements for handling
VPN traffic. You can still filter inbound traffic, and you can still
forward transiting traffic - it's only outbound traffic that
originates on the firewall that is a problem.

That is my understanding from following the Shorewall list for some time.