[Xen-users] GPLPV

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ryan Holt <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:28:46 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:30:17 -0700

Hi All,

I've been trying various attempts at installing the latest GPLPV drivers (gplpv_Vista2008x64_0.11.0.238.msi) on a fresh Server 2008R2 VM. Currently using Xen 4.0.1 with dom0 at 2.6.32-24. VM configuration is here:

I've found that the tap:aio disk configuration doesn't play well with the vbd/scsi drivers, that is, I get blue screens after the reboot. Couldn't finagle that to work. Just to test, I installed a VM with phy:/path/to/LVM/volume and the vbd driver installed fine / no bluescreens. I got better performance / VM was snappier with the tap:aio configuration though.

I still got pretty poor performance on the networking side, however, so I was trying to install the GPLPV drivers in order to hopefully improve my network performance. I selected to install all the drivers with the exception of the vbd and scsi drivers. VM boots fine and inside of Network Connections I now have the XEN Network Adapter instead of the e1000 that I originally had. However, it is disconnected. I followed the instructions listed here to configure the bootloader and it appears that it is setup right:

http://www.jolokianetworks.com/70Knowledge/Virtualization/Open_Source_Windows_Paravirtualization_Drivers_for_Xen

I also followed the instructions here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-90/xen-3-0-3-running-windows-server-2008-rc2-using-gplpv-drivers-840396/

And used the dseo.exe utility to sign the xen drivers; problem persists.Hopefully it's something obvious I'm missing...

Any thoughts?

--
Thanks,
Ryan