[Xen-users] RE: GPLPV Uninstall = 0x7b Bluescreen

  • To: "chris" <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Users List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:50:42 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:52:28 -0700

> I tried to uninstall gplpv 0.11.0.188 from a windows 2008 r2 server by
> uninstalling the package "gpl pv drivers" from the control panel, upon
> reboot i found the package was gone but windows was still using xennet
> and xenvbd. I renamed the drivers to prevent windows from using them
> and now windows bluescreens with 0x7b. Is there something beyond
> uninstalling the package that needs to be done? Why are the driver
> files left behind after uninstall?

I'm not sure, I don't uninstall them :)

There are 2 problems:

1. If a driver is in use (eg in the paging path or managing some other
critical device), Windows pretends it uninstalled it correctly but it
doesn't really. So you'd need to boot with /GPLPV to have any hope of
really uninstalling. There is probably a way of detecting this in the
installer but I've never really looked. Ideally it would do it
automatically - put /NOGPLPV in boot.ini, reboot, complete the
uninstall, remove /NOGPLPV from boot.ini, then reboot again. There's a
lot that could go wrong there though.

2. The xenpci driver is installed as a filter in the qemu ide and
network driver stack (for compatibility with xen < 3.4.1). I'm not
completely sure that the uninstall undoes this so you'd need to search
for any UpperFilters keys in the registry
(HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet) and remove xenpci from them (remove the
value entirely if xenpci is the only thing in it). If you download
http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/gplpv_uninstall_bat.zip and run the
uninstall bat file (probably the 0.10 one) it should clean all that
stuff up for you.

James