Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualization

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 17:49 +0000 schrieb Dermot:
> On 4 November 2010 17:03, Thomas Halinka <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi again,

> >> I am indeed. Thank you very much. Does paravirtualisation always
> >> require a network install?
> >
> > There are a lot of install-method for PV-Guests, like
> >
> > - copy existing /-FS
> > - unpack /-FS-tarballs
> > - debootstrap / febootstrap /rinse
> > - yum / rpm
> > - xen-tools (which is a wrapper around the above-mentioned tools)
> > - net-install throught d-i, kickstart, whatever
> > - and so on....
>
> I had been trying to use debootstrap but it didn't install a kernel
> and initrd. I didn't know how to proceed after that.

chroot /$DEBOOTSTRAP-DIR

apt-get install $kernel-image-foo # no idea, which debian u r using

exit

cp /$DEBOOTSTRAP-DIR/boot/$vmlinuz /boot/debian-kernel
cp /$DEBOOTSTRAP-DIR/boot/$vinitrd /boot/debian-initrd

and edit vm.cfg to use

..
kernel=/boot/debian-kernel
ramdisk=/boot/debian-initrd
..

> >> And why?
> >
> > PV-Guests have no boot-order, so u cant boot a PV-Guest from a CD. So
> > the point is to have a xen-compatible Kernel (+ initrd) with "some
> > instructions what to do next, e.g. start an installation or
> > start /sbin/init from somewhere"....
>
> Ok. I think I understand. Is it possible to create a guest as
> fully-virtualised and then switch it to para-virtualised once the
> install process has completed and you've had a few reboots?

Sure - have a look here:

http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/virst-installvirt-manager-at-xen-4-0-rc8-2-6-32-10-pvops-dom0-on-top-ubuntu-karmic-koala-server/

The section after the virt-install-command is the interesting part to
you.

> Dp.

Have phun,

thomas