Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2008 SBS on Xen 3.4 does not install

On Friday 29 October 2010 10:45:26 Bart Coninckx wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2010 19:40:32 Bart Coninckx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > trying to install Windows 2008 Small Business Server 64bit on Xen 3.4 on
> > opensuse 11.2.
> >
> > The install runs fine, but after the first reboot, the VNC console shows:
> >
> > boot mgr is missing
> >
> > When I try to repair that with the install CD, I cannot see the
> > previously installed C: partition, as if drivers are missing or
> > something.
> >
> > Does any know of Windows 2008 SBS is installable at all? I've recently
> > installed a regular Windows 2008 Server on Xen 3.2 and that was not an
> > issue. R2 was of course.
> >
> > This is my config file:
> >
> > name="win1"
> > uuid="c157bc27-b978-0e46-c799-3b7bc64eb0ac"
> > memory=8192
> > maxmem=8192
> > vcpus=2
> > on_poweroff="destroy"
> > on_reboot="restart"
> > on_crash="destroy"
> > localtime=1
> >
> > builder="hvm"
> > extid=1
> > device_model="/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> > kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> > boot="d"
> > #disk=[ 'phy:/dev/mapper/win1c,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/mapper/win1d,hdb,w',
> > 'file:/mnt/nfs1/DVD1_Installation.iso,hdc:cdrom,r', ]
> > disk=[ 'phy:/dev/mapper/win1c,hda,w',
> > 'file:/mnt/nfs1/DVD1_Installation.iso,hdc:cdrom,r', ]
> > vif=[ 'bridge=br0,model=rtl8139', ]
> >

> > stdvga=0
> > vnc=1
> > vncunused=1
> > apic=1
> > acpi=1
> > pae=1
> >
> > usb=1
> > usbdevice='tablet'
> >
> > serial="pty"
> >

> > Thx!
> >
> > Bart

> Further investigation revealed that the installation reboots while
> extracting files, so the installation does not get to finish entirely. I'm
> testing now on Xen 4.0. Up till now it gets simpley stuck while extracting
> the files, once at 16%, once at 74%. Trying to see if this has to do with
> free disk space on my test machine. But my guess is it won't work on Xen
> 3.4. 4.0 Remains a question.
>
> B.

Hi all,

further testing showed that Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 SBS
all show the same before: during installation and while expanding files, the
DomU's reboot all of a sudden. I discovered this in the qemu log files:

xc_map_foreign_batch: mmap failed: Cannot allocate memory
xc_map_foreign_batch error 12

Googling this does not provide me with a lot more info. Anyone ever seen these
messages and able to give a workaround?

thx,

B.