Re: [Xen-users] PV DomU kernel upgrade

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Marcin Kuk <marcin.kuk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:47:35 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:50:22 -0800

2010/12/2 Jean Baptiste FAVRE <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> One of my collegue asked me if it is possible to update PV DomU kernel
> without reboot.

Yes, you can update, but new kernel will used after reboot. It's
because once loaded kernel is uncompresed and is stored into memory -
it isn't readed again after boot.

> Have to say that I did never think about it: I kept rebooting domU after
> kernel update, like I do with traditional servers.
>
> Now, what if I update DomU kernel on the first dom0 and try to migrate
> VMs from the second one ? Will it work ? Normally I would say that it
> should behave like traditionnal servers, that is that we should reboot domU.

I don't know if I understand you. After boot process kernel is into
memory, so if live migration process move all processes with ram
alocated - it should work.

Regards,
Marcin Kuk