Re: [Xen-users] Reg: PXE booting Xen Guests.

  • To: teja.ram@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:09:21 -0500
  • Cc: jayakumar.ramasamy@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, robin.rajan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:11:33 -0800

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM,  <teja.ram@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We are using RHEL5.4 as the Xen hypervisor & trying to install the guests
> via PXE.
>

> We are following the Redhat Documentation (
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Virtualized_guest_installation_overview-Installing_guests_with_PXE.html
> )
>

> The problem here is the guest sends a DHCP Request & gets an DHCP Offer as
> well. But it doesn’t boot vmlinuz

Have you verified that the PXE setup is in fact working (simply by
testing it against a physical machine, for example)?

Cobbler+koan is a pretty nice solution for provisioning VMs over PXE boot:
https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/

> Could you throw some light on the configuration part (like network bridge,
> shared physical device etc.) so that we can install the guests ?

If you are getting the DHCP request, you seem to be on the right
bridged network.

Let us know if any of the above suggestions help.

Also, next time please provide more information on the specific
commands that you run and what happens, more specifically. For
example, you should be able to do network traces to see if the PXE
stuff is working and what networks are seeing it. You can trace on the
xen bridge from dom0, for example.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd