[Xen-users] HVM memory ballooning for 2.4 based DomU's?

 Hi,

most of my DomU's are paravirtualized and I'm used to specifying the
'intiial' memory and 'maxmem' so I can easily increase memory when need be.

But I also have a couple of Linux 2.4 HVM's where I'd like to do the
same - however this doesn't seem to work.

> memory = 512
> maxmem=4096

Both 'xm list and 'xm top' show that this DomU should only have 512MB of
memory:

> myhvm                             25   512     1     -b----     25.5

> myhvm -----r         15   45.1     528352    1.6     528384
> 1.6     1    1        0        0    2        0        0
> 0          0          0    0

However, the machine itself says it has 'almost' 4GB of memory:

> # free
> Mem:       3880264      68228    3812036          0       3636      38984
> -/+ buffers/cache:      25608    3854656
> Swap:       524280          0     524280

When I try 'xm mem-set myhvm 512', the command doesn't complain, but it
also doesn't change in my DomU.

When I remove the 'maxmem' parameter form the config file, the DomU gets
512MB of memory, that can't be increased with 'xm mem-set'...

What is needed in a Linux 2.4 HVM DomU to support on-the-fly memory
changes? Is this even possible?

   Danilo

--
Danilo Godec, sistemska podpora / system administration

Predlog! Obiscite prenovljeno spletno stran www.agenda.si

ODPRTA KODA IN LINUX
STORITVE : POSLOVNE RESITVE : UPRAVLJANJE IT : INFRASTRUKTURA IT :
IZOBRAZEVANJE : PROGRAMSKA OPREMA

Visit our updated web page at www.agenda.si

OPEN SOURCE AND LINUX
SERVICES : BUSINESS SOLUTIONS : IT MANAGEMENT : IT INFRASTRUCTURE : TRAINING :
SOFTWARE