[Xen-users] create xen image using existing xp .img file

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Bill <codyw725@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:33:01 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:34:19 -0800

Heres my setup.  I have a workstation running windows xp sp3 that is currently acting as my symantec ghost and symantec endpoint server.  For backup purposes I want to virtualize the physical machine so I can then just backup the xen image as opposed to making a copy of the hard drive image and having to transfer it to another machine in the case of a hardware failure.  I connected an external drive to my machine and booted up knoppix using a live CD.  I've DD'd the entire drive image to a .img file onto the external drive.  I then copied my .img file onto my xen server and now I'm kind of lost.  I'm a complete noob to xen and the xen server was implemented by someone who is no longer with the company so I know absolutely nothing about it.  I know that I can use virt-manager to access the xen server and create an image and what not.  I guess my question is can someone help me import this exiting .img file into my xen server for use.  Currently it does not boot and when I tried booting to recovery console using windows xp disk I can do a fixmbr, but fixboot does not work cause it says the drive does not exist.  Any help would be great.