Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs

Hi!

> > to increase performances you can skip iscsi and you can try a SAS SAN
> > (with some LSI SAS switch if you need more than 4 servers linked to a
> > single SAN)
>
> Do you get different types of SAN? SAN = iSCSI, last time I checked.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network:
  Most storage networks use the SCSI protocol for communication between
  servers and disk drive devices. A mapping layer to other protocols is used
  to form a network:

    * ATA over Ethernet (AoE), mapping of ATA over Ethernet
    * Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP), the most prominent one, is a mapping of
    * SCSI over Fibre Channel
    * Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE)
    * ESCON over Fibre Channel (FICON), used by mainframe computers
    * HyperSCSI, mapping of SCSI over Ethernet
    * iFCP[2] or SANoIP[3] mapping of FCP over IP
    * iSCSI, mapping of SCSI over TCP/IP
    * iSCSI Extensions for RDMA (iSER), mapping of iSCSI over InfiniBand

  Storage networks may also be built using SAS and SATA technologies. SAS
  evolved from SCSI direct-attached storage. SATA evolved from IDE
  direct-attached storage. SAS and SATA devices can be networked using SAS
  Expanders.

So SAN = iSCSI isn't quite it.

-- Adi