Re: [Xen-users] Possible bug with scsi disk and Xen

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 07:03:16PM +0100, Jordan Pittier wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. LSI has indeed newer driver for the controler;
> but I can't "build" it, there's an error when I try to compile it [see
> attachement]. I will give another try in the next days.
>
> What is puzzling is that the IO errors only occurs with Xen HV. I am
> 100% willing to accept that the problem is the drivers, but how come
> the exact same kernel (the xenified one) could work fine without Xen
> loaded ? I am almost a noob in kernel/driver and stuff; but I thought
> the drivers were entirely in the kernel.

Yep, the driver is entirely in the kernel, but that's not the whole story.

Xen dom0 kernel does irq handling through Xen hypervisor,
so that might make some drivers behave in a different way baremetal vs. dom0.

Also remember dom0 is a *vm*, so some timing stuff might happen
differently on baremetal vs. dom0.

> I will try with the latest kernel in a few days.
>
> SLES11SP1 ships mptfusion 4.22
> (http://www.novell.com/linux/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP1/#driver-updates-storage)
> I dont know for RHEL

What driver version does the squeeze kernel have?

-- Pasi