Re: [Xen-users] I Xen ready for desktop virtualization?

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 01:24:28PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> I currently have the following environments on my laptop:
>
>   . Windows VistaÂ
>   . Debian âlennyâ
>   . Debian âsqueezeâ
>   . Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Considering that the way they are set up, I never use more than 10-15%
> of the 4G of RAM that came with this laptop. I thought it might be worth
> trying to install a Xen dom0 on a separate partition and migrate the
> above environments to four virtual machines.

> Is Xen the right tool for desktop virtualization or should I look
> elsewhere?

Even if I run the risk of being called a traitor ;-) I'd suggest you take a
look at VirtualBox. It is open source and will come much closer handling-wise
to what you are used from vmware.

> Â Only kept while the laptop is under warranty, in the event I need some
>   common ground to work with the manufacturer's tech support.

That probably means you will have to run Vista on bare metal. Otherwise the
support/diag tools will be of little use.

cheers
-henrik