Re: [Xen-users] Squeeze and Xen 4 - booting error when loading xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64

  • To: Paul Wozney <paul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:17:52 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:19:19 -0800

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Paul Wozney <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello xen-users,
>
> I'm a long-time Linux-er and lately I've been sticking to Ubuntu - but when
> it came time to build a Xen system I figured what better way than to use
> debian and since squeeze was just released with support for Xen 4.
>
> Except I'm having some problems. I followed the instructions here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Installationonsqueeze
>
> I can boot the regular plain-jane kernel without a problem, but when I boot
> the Xen-4 hypervisor kernel I get a crash, and unless I include the line
> 'noreboot' it immediately reloads the system.  It looks like the repos are
> giving me hypervisor 4.0.1.
>
> I have attached a screenshot (taken with my camera) of the crashed system,
> in the hopes that someone will know what this means. This happens quiet
> early in the boot process, so I'm not able to switch windows to access the
> system otherwise. I did some searching for the last error
> message child_rip but I can't seem to find anything quite like what I'm
> seeing here.
>
> I saw a thread on the xen-devel list for 4.1.1 with this exact problem, and
> for them with that particular bug they were able to fix it with this kernel
> parameter: /boot/xen.gz  dom0_mem=1024M. But this didn't work for me - I
> just got the same error.
> Thanks,

Some hints on getting more debug information:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenBooting

If you can get more verbose errors then xen-devel may be interested.

For an example of applying more debugging tips see this thread for example:

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=%20reboot%20after%20%22scrubbing%20free%20ram%22#query:reboot%20after%20%22scrubbing%20free%20ram%22%20type%3Adevelopment+page:1+mid:utvcwtdlgk3mrz54+state:results