Re: [Xen-users] kernel-xen can not recognize more than 32 cores

  • From: Kevin Maguire <kmaguire@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:33:16 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 00:34:08 -0800

Hi mohammad

By another kernel I mean kernel-xen from CentOS 5.5. The kernel has been compiled for x86_64 architecture. So it is supposed to use more than 32 cores. I run xm dmesg command and Surprisingly I see 48 cores. But catching /proc/cpuinfo and xm list gives me only 32 recognized cores. What I need is just to make kernel and xen aware of all cores.

It is already aware of all the hardware, as "xm dmesg" shows you.

The kernel, dom0, is just a (special) domain. Last time I checked Xen domains can support up to 32 cores. You will not be able to see more within a single domain, but the Xen tools, and guests, can still use all your cores.

It can be argued that you should assign a much smaller number of cores to your dom0 anyway, via dom0-cpus in xend-config.sxp (or other ways).

My system has 48 cores, but just 2 assigned to dom0

# grep processor /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
processor       : 1

# xm info | grep nr_cpus
nr_cpus                : 48

Similarly my dom0 can see only up to 32 GB of RAM, but the system actually has 256 GB, and anyway I limit dom0 to 10G via dom0_mem boot option.

YMMV,
Kevin