Re: [Xen-users] guest creation problem on pv dom0 kernel

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:23:20 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 02:24:30 -0800

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you try to create and start a vm with plain xm tools, without the help
> of libvirt based solutions, maybe your libvirt version doesn't know how to
> use the xen 4.0 utils or the pvops kernel?

That's a VERY good suggestion.

Instead of trying everything all at once and not knowing which ones
went wrong, it'd be better to take it one step at a time.

If you simply want something that "just works", then better stick with
tested integrated solutions (like RHEL/Centos5, or XCP). But if you
want to start from scratch, start with:
- having a dom0 boot
- look at example config files from /etc/xen/xmexample*
- create a HVM guest using "xm create" and the example config file, if
your system has VT/AMD-V. It's simpler, and it allows you to use Live
CD ISO (like systemrescued)
- create a PV guest from scratch by creating a manual config file,
like http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU . Don't
use a kickstart file yet though, start using the interactive installer

Once you master the basics, then move on to tools like
virt-manager/virt-install. Those tools might require a specific
version combination, which might or might not work in your current
environment.

That will save you (and other people on this list) lots of problems
and confusions.

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 22:54:31 +0530 <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > In a previous thread I had posted problem of guest creation for a
>> > pv-ops Dom0 kernel.
>> > This week I recompiled every thing from scratch.
>> > Following is my config file for 2.6.32.27
>> > http://pastebin.com/AvSVgVQE
>> > and the error this time I am getting trying to do with virt-install is
>> >

>> > ERROR unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused

FWIW, I think the error is related to xend-http-server and xend-port
on /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

--
Fajar