Re: [Xen-users] grub commands problem with Ubuntu 10.04

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:52:17 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:23:51 -0800

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It's a somewhat advanced setup, while you don't have
> enough experience/knowledge to troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination.

> Here's a basic question. Where is your /boot directory located?
> If it's on your ntfs partition,
Yes in C drive

C:\ubuntu\install\boot

>does it have /boot/grub? Does it have
> /boot/grub/multiboot.mod?
No that folder is completely blank there is not a single file in it.
>It needs it to be able to boot Xen
> correctly.
>

> It looks like your grub setup has just enough modules to use loopback
> file on ntfs, but the ACTUAL /boot directory is on the loopback NOT
> ntfs (hd0,2). Therefore any attempt to read any files from (hd0,2)
> simply wont work, cause there's no file there.

Right now it makes things clear.

>> even on grub prompt
>> grub> insmod multiboot or
>> grub> insmod multiboo2
>> gives same error I mentioned
>> error: file not found
>>
>> Any thing else you feel  I can try?
>
> Don't use Wubi.
Not possible for me :(
> Don't boot from a loopback in ntfs. It's a somewhat
> advanced setup, while you don't have enough experience/knowledge to
> troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination. Stick with normal installation

Even I want to but that is not possible I myself do not have a VT
machine asked one friend to give me his laptop and he has Windows 7 on
one single partition which is coming these days pre installed on
Laptops and he does not want to partition the drive and install/format
etc.
If you can guide me I will try to do this give me links so that I read
and do my home work what ever time it will take I will invest.

> methods, using partitions. Or use virtualbox if you just want to do
> some tests. Normal installation will work.
You mean to say I install Xen in a Linux distribution in Virtual box
and then create Guest OS inside that there I can play with Xen.
If that is possible that is a good suggestion.Let me know if I
understood you correctly.

> Since this is not Xen-specific, but rather wubi - grub - multiboot
> issue, you should ask their maintainer/list/forum.

Ok :(
--
Regards
Abhi