RE: [Xen-users] Create multiple IP on single interface

  • To: "ssaz" <zaxaz@xxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:03:48 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:05:28 -0700

> I have one physical eth0 interface on a server running xen. I need to
have
> two IP addresses bound to the physical interface at the server layer
(not
> vm). I basically want to do in Xen what would be referred to as a
virtual IP
> in unix/linux. I can do this at the RHEL os level via the following
> commands:
>
> #ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.177.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> #ifconfig eth0:0 inet 10.68.177.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>
> This works fine before xen starts but once I start xen, the second
interface
> (0:0) gets dropped.
>
> The reason I need this is to route db interconnect traffic over the
192
> network while routing the public traffic over the 10 network.
>
> I don't understand how to accomplish this without xen stomping on it.

Don't let xen automatically configure your network adapter. The
autoconfig stuff is great if you boot between xen and non-xen
configurations, but if you are always using xen just do it yourself.

Configure the bridge as part of your init (eg /etc/network/interfaces
under Debian) and put your IP addresses etc on that, and then comment
out any reference to 'network-script' in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

James