Re: [Xen-users] XCP vs Xen on CentOS and Dell OpenManage

  • To: Eduardo Bragatto <eduardo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dustin Marquess <dmarquess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:44:35 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:45:43 -0700

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Eduardo Bragatto <eduardo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried out XCP and I was surprised to see it looks pretty much like
> Xen from Citrix. Based on the RPM packages installed, I assume XCP is based
> on RHEL5.

That's because XCP is based on the Citrix XenServer 5.6 FP1 codebase.
XCP is based on CentOS 5.5 with a custom kernel.

> With that in mind, I have a few questions that I did not find an answer on
> the web... Perhaps I didn't look in the right places, so if you know about
> any good documentations that I should read please share it :)
>
> 1) What is the main difference between "xm" and "xe", and why does XCP comes
> with "xe" while the Xen Hypervisor comes with "xm"?

xe is a command line interface to the XAPI that XCP uses.  Since XCP
is meant to be an appliance, interaction with it is almost entirely
through the API.

> 2) I noticed "xe" has a lot of features, for example: "snapshots". Does it
> means "xe" goes beyond simply managing Xen and also acts as a frontend for
> LVM?

Yes.

> 3) Did anyone managed to install Dell's OpenManage on XCP -- Dell has RPM
> packages for RHEL5 and a yum repository, so I'm assuming it should work, but
> I would like to hear from someone who was at least tried to get it
> installed.

The RedHat OM packages *DO* work on XCP (I've done it before), however
the 'official' method would probably be to use the Dell 'supplemental'
pack for XenServer.  I haven't tried it (I don't have Dell anymore),
but it should work with some tinkering:

http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.XenServer56_A00.10.iso

-Dustin