Re: [Xen-users] XCP XenAPI fencing script (clustering support)

  • To: Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: m c <mcspam4me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:08:09 +1100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:09:32 -0700

Hi Geza,

Thanks for your feedback.

Using a specific server for this was the first approach I took, writing a python daemon process that utilised XML-RPC (I will see if I can dig it up). Got a fair way down that path but realised I was just rewriting fence-virtd so then I started to look into altering fence-virtd instead. That's where I stopped. I want to get back around to this eventually, but that's not what this script is for.

This script is to fence a node through the XenAPI. As you mentioned, the security model employed by XenAPI does not allow username/password based access control of specific VM's (that I am aware of without using windows based active directory credentials), but maybe it will in the future. Note that this is an underlying API limitation.

The same script can be updated to also use GezaAPI in the future, once this is written. I will be happy to make the changes once you have your daemon working and API laid out. To be honest it should be a pretty straight forward transition.

Cheers,
Matt.