Re: [Xen-users] Issues migrating to xen 4.1

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Claudiu CurcÄ <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:53:01 +0300
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 04:54:31 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Sylvain CHEVALIER
<sylvain.chevalier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just migrated xen on gentoo on amd64 from 4.0 to 4.1 and
> encountered a few issues that were not documented. Here is how we
> solved them and what issues are remaining:
>
> 2. We were using bridges to map the 4 ethernet cards to virtual
> machines so that virtual machines could have their own IP addresses.
> In xen 4.1, it is recommended to configure bridges by ourselves and
> not use xend although xend would still work. We could not get the
> bridges to work and went on using xend. However, the network-bridge
> script now includes a test: if a bridge already exist, then it would
> do nothing. The problem with that is that our wrapper script for
> network-bridge would only create the first bridge. So we had to
> comment out the test in network-bridge, and it would work. Did anybody
> successfully create bridges on gentoo?
> Meanwhile, we found that if a domU is started and tries to access a
> bridge that does not exist, dom0 would stop working. Shall it be a
> bug?

I've also noticed this issue. The test in network-bridge is quite
lousy, as there could be countless setups with multiple non-xen
related bridges.
However, in the brief time I've spent with Xen-4.1 (I've encountered
other issues, see my email on the list), I've managed to manually
create a bridge interface.

In the /etc/conf.d/net file, replace your config_ethX (in this case,
X=1) line with the following:

bridge_add_eth1="xenbr0"
config_eth1=( "null" )
config_xenbr0=( "172.18.0.1/24" "2001:470:1f0b:11b9::1/64" )
brctl_xenbr0=( "stp off" )

Of course, replace the numbers to suit your own setup.

Also, in the /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp, make sure you specify the
bridge that Xen should use, especially if you have more than one
Find the line

(vif-script vif-bridge)

and replace it with

(vif-script 'vif-bridge bridge=xenbr0')

This should tell Xen to add the vif interfaces to the xenbr0 bridge.

I hope this helps you out.