[Xen-users] Poor NFS Perofrmance on Dom0 Storage to native DomU

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <peter.chiu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:33:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: peter.chiu@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:37:00 -0700

I set up Dom0 and a couple of DomU all with Suse Enterprise 11 SP1 on a DELL
PowerEdge R710.

I then NFS export a SATA 2TB disk on Dom0 to the 2 DomU guests.

>From the 2 DomU guests, I can only get about 2MBytes/s using dd tests (with dd
>if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1000).

I doubt the problem is on NFS, because I set up similar Dom0 and DomU on two
other DECLL PowerEdge R710s.

>From these DomUs, I can get about 90MB/s on the same NFS mounted storage.

So the problem seems to be relating how the Dom0 communicates with its native
DomU guests.

I check this using iperf, but found their speeds are in multiple of Gbits/s in
both directions -
the Dom0 has a 10G dual port Ethernet card.  Iperf also give similar figures
with DomUs from other physical servers.

I checked through the Suse Enterprise doc on virtualisation, but cannot find
any clue to explain why that is the case.

Does anyone has any idea why?

Thanks.
Peter
--