Re: [Xen-users] Trouble with manual bridging on Xen3/CentOS 5

  • To: Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Teck Choon Giam <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 01:33:18 +0800
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 May 2011 10:34:41 -0700

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 12:04 PM, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
>> Ok, mind to show me your brctl show output?  I am curious about what
>> is the vif?.? assignment to your xenbr2 especially.  It is either
>> vif?.1 or vif?.2.  Have you tried with vifname set in your domU
>> configs to see whether the same problem persist?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> To get that info, I'd need to reconfigure a test cluster with the bugged
> patch. If it's curiosity only, I'd like to set it aside. If it could
> help with development though, let me know and I'll do so tonight.

Curious only though but that might helps to determine one or more of
your patches issue.  One of your patch at least is using vif?.N to get
its physical ethN if I am not mistaken:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=492964&action=diff

pdev=`echo $dev | sed -e "s/^vif\(.*\)\.\(.*\)$/peth\2/"`

So if $dev is vif?.N here, the pdev will be pethN right?  However,
since you are using system network configuration to configure your
bridge, your physical ethN remain the same as it is and there isn't
any pethN here I believe.  Correct me if I am wrong though :p

And your next line is:

mtu=`cat /sys/class/net/$pdev/mtu`

So if $pdev not set or empty or pethN not found, you will have issue here... ...

Now let said you are using xen provided to do the bridging instead of
using system network configuration... so pethN will be set by xen or
rename real ethN to pethN and setup bridge name as ethN if I remember
correctly... ... now if vif?.N where N is 1 for your xenbr2/peth2 you
will have issue as well :p

You might want to try setting vifname for your testing domU config to
see whether does it resolve your issue?

I haven't look closely for your other patches though and what I stated
above hopefully make sense :p

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon