[Xen-users] Re: lost root password in guest

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Bezroutchko <abb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:57:58 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2011 05:02:15 -0700

Hi,

Apparently I can't find back the original question, but if the problem is in the lost root password as the subj suggests, there is a nice trick: set Boot OS parameters (XenCenter, VM Properties, Startup Options) to 'init=/bin/sh' and reboot -- you will get root prompt on your console. You'll have to remount your root file system in rw mode (mount -o remount,rw /) before you can make any changes on the file system. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Alex
www.gremwell.com