Re: [Xen-users] Alternatives to a dual-primary DRBD setup

On 05/20/11 20:51, Daniel Meszaros wrote:
Hi there,

usually I am just lurking around here collecting ideas about issues that I could run into in the future but now it seems my time has come to ask for your help...

Until now I ran a Citrix Xenserver 5.6 on a dual-primary DRBD setup. But for any reason I am experiencing sync problems now, maybe due to the raised I/O load (setup without guest machines, now ten virtual servers).

I am tapping a bit in darkness at searching for the needle in the haystack causing the problems. Therefore I am thinking about possible alternatives that allow useful things like XenMotion but possibly at a lower performance usage level.

My current setup:
- two servers with dual 12-core Opterons and 32 GB RAM, each
- each server equipped with a 500 MB (hardware) RAID1 for the host and with a 14 TB (hardware) RAID5 for the guests that's being replicated using DRBD
- each server with a 10 GbE NIC
- Citrix Xenserver 5.6, both running in one pool

What are your ideas? Is it worth thinking about other storage solutions?

CU,
Mészi.

To me it sounds your setup should be fine. It does depends on the nature of your guests of course. 10 is not a lot though.

I would try to find the bottleneck:

- do an effective measurement of the DRBD link with netperf
- investigate none of your guests is swapping heavily consuming a lot of I/O
- investigate your disk performance. RAID5 is not ideal, more striping would be better.

I don't think you're very likely to have better performance with other setups, like iSCSI.

.B