[Xen-users] How do you tell if a kernel will work with Xen?

  • From: John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:36:58 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:37:48 -0700

In other words, what is the definition of "Wen aware"?
I'm thinking of kernels that come packaged with Ubuntu.

One way is to compile one yourself, reading the kernel compile docs,
but the kernel needs to run on hardware with VT built in and my desktop
machines don't,
and the server I rent is 64 bit dual core,
so that's a cross compile rather than one I could test here, then deploy.

The deploying is not to dangerous though --  I'll have a working kernel to fall
back to
booting with pygrub.  Is cross compiling Xen aware linux kernels much different
than a straight compile on the same machine you are running the kernel on?

John Griessen