Re: [Xen-users] Can we use PXE to run XEN LiveCD

  • To: Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:43:30 +0200
  • Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:44:50 -0700

Hi Thiago,

>  This is a great idea but, at this time, I did not prepare this kind of
> setup within the current Xen Live CD...
>  It will be awesome boot the Xen Live CD and have it working as a PXE
> Server, so you can boot any number of diskless live dom0s... Is that your
> idea?!
>  Working more or less in the same way the LTSP does today but, instead of
> booting diskless desktops, you can be able to boot diskless Xen servers...

Nice to see you're thinking so far ahead :)
I have a rough cut of a readonly dom0 which is working flawless for me.
Since XCP had stateless Xen on it's roadmap I figured I should put the
stuff online.

It's not yet enough for a farm of netbooting dom0s, but this is of
course something that comes to mind, especially since noone can guess
how long it would take till a Mini-OS dom0 ever becomes reality.

Maybe you can find something to work from:
The files are here:
https://bitbucket.org/darkfader/black-magic

(if you head to wiki there it has some minimal documentation)
A topic I did not touch is how the dom0s find their domU config files.

This is for two reasons:
a) since I can put any kind of python into the config files I don't
need to have much hardcoded in there, instead I can query *any*
source.
b) I decided to have all VMs preconfigured. (see:
http://deranfangvomende.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/are-you-really-done-virtualizing-or-did-you-stop-at-the-start/
)

Greetings,
Florian

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and