[Xen-users] Re: Xen + SAN

iSCSI and AOE export the storage as raw block devices to the
hypervisors - which basically act the same as local storate (i.e. SATA
/ SAS HDD's in the server) so you then either need to partition the
iSCSI LUN the same way as you do with local drives, or the easier way
is to use LVM  to "slice" it up and then use LVM volumes for the domU
virtual machines

I don't know about AOE but with ISCSI the problem I'm seeing is that if i create a volume group on the SAN there is no way to export that volume group. I could export the device that the volume group was created on but then the host doesn't see that VG. I'm assuming i would need to use clustered LVM for that which i have been told to stay far away from. Another option was to carve out the LV's on the SAN and to export each LV to the initiators but still the problem is that the host assigns these luns to /dev/sd devices and there's no simple nice way to map them to who owns what disk. Least not that I've found yet. I'm fairly new to ISCSI though so maybe there's something I'm missing.

~Shaun