Re: [Xen-users] Backup domU

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rainer Sokoll <rainer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:45:34 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 04:46:31 -0700

Am 09.07.2011 um 12:17 schrieb Andrew McGlashan:

> The only issue with rsync with rsnapshot from what I can see, is for very
> large files that change frequently.  You might end up having loads of copies
> of these large files and that would be painful in terms of storage and
> transfer.  Take a 2TB Oracle datafile for instance; don't want to touch that
> right now with this method, but Oracle has other backup methods anyway .....

Yes, rsnapshot does deduplication by using hard links. This is file based
deduplication; what we really want is deduplication on block level, like e.g.
ZFS does.
For Linux, I came across lessfs (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lessfs/files/).
Anyone here who can provide experiences with lessfs?

Rainer