[Xen-users] Unable to start xend

Hi,
I'm trying to install Xen on Ubuntu 11.04. I read somewhere (please correct me if this is wrong) that Ubuntu hasn't had dom0 support since 8.04 LTS, and the recommended action was to grab a dom0-enabled kernel from Debian, so I did. I'm running 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 and built Xen 4.1.1 from source. After installation and some troubleshooting, I tried to start xend. Here is the result:

vmtest@morphy:~$ xend start
xc: error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (2 = No such file or directory): Internal error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 36, in <module>
    from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line 26, in <module>
    import relocate
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/server/relocate.py", line 28, in <module>
    from xen.xend import XendDomain
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendDomain.py", line 36, in <module>
    from xen.xend import XendOptions, XendCheckpoint, XendDomainInfo
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py", line 20, in <module>
    from xen.xend import balloon, sxp, image
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/image.py", line 46, in <module>
    xc = xen.lowlevel.xc.xc()
xen.lowlevel.xc.Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'xc_interface_open failed: No such file or directory')

Some searching led me to believe that this error occurs when I haven't booted into a Xen kernel, but this confuses me as I am fairly certain I have. /sys/hypervisor exists as well as /dev/xen. What have I overlooked? I apologize in advance if I have posted to the wrong mailing list.

Sincerely,
  Forest