Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen, looking for advice regarding system configuration

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Braindead <Braindead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:42:35 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:43:35 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=diablops.com; h=Received:Date:From:To:Subject:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Organization:X-Mailer:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-BWhitelist:X-Source:X-Source-Args:X-Source-Dir:X-Source-Sender:X-Source-Auth:X-Email-Count; b=ifMF+WJ2cHg1u9dNg7AvWct6LCcFzfFAXDfoLuwc1c2qYU9G1Y0W+iHv53O9gJI2FE4RcA3AtgiHth+IInCBg5gPoJhPF8XKq7gf3fA70R9gjt/fuZ4SBAWQv5IXkRmq;

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:23:58 -0500 Tim Bearden <tim.bearden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't speak much about Xen... yet!  But I can give "some" insight
> on hardware.
>

> >> Would it make sense to spend extra bucks on a multi processor
> >> motherboard rather than going with a single Core i7 or the like?
> >> I think there are i/o bandwidth benefits with multi processor
> >> boards,
>

> the Intel i7 processor is not single core, it is 4 - 6 cores, each
> core is hyper-threaded so the OS will see 8 - 12 processors!  i7 is by
> far the best processor to get for a workstation and will more than
> handle multiple VMs.  If you're planning to run 2 - 3 VMs, you could
> give each VM multiple [logical] processors and still have a few left
> over for the VM host.  If you go with an i7, I think your hard disk
> read/write will be the bottleneck.

Indeed, I meant single processor.  I'm running an i7 on a windows machine here,
with 3 VM's (running under VMWare Workstation) and I can bring windows to it's
knees by hammering the disks.   Definitely disk i/o is an issue.

I'm tempted to try SAS, however much of what I've read about that seems to be
'it might help it might not, depends on usage patterns...etc..', not too sure I
want to try one and then the other.

Maybe I should wait for 2TB SSD drives...for a reasonable price ;-)