Re: [Xen-users] domU crashes about a minute after migration

  • To: Carsten from Virtastic <carsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Carsten from Virtastic <carsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:12:08 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:13:53 -0700

Hi again,

> I've got a weird issue here, which I'm stuck with:
> When I migrate a domU (PV) from one server to another (both identical
> hardware and software), it takes about 40-60 seconds after which the
> successfully migrated domU simply crashes.

I can answer this myself now, in case anybody else runs into the same issue:

My guest-kernels had this set:

CONFIG_XEN_WDT=y

From my understanding this requires that /dev/watchdog be fed by a watchdog
daemon in set intervals, and if that's not the case, the Hypervisor will
terminate the guest.

Interestingly, this only seems to become relevant after migration, which
doesn't quite make sense. The effect after creation or migration should be
identical.

Anywho... setting this to CONFIG_XEN_WDT=n (or =m) resolves this problem. I can
now happily migrate domU's back and forth, and they don't terminate any more.

(On an unrelated side note: I had to apply a blktap2 "cleanup" patch [1] to be
able to migrate the domU back to the host where I migrated it off from, because
otherwise remaining tapdisk2 processes would cause the migration to fail and
the domU to crash.)

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=131066210526755

Cheers
Carsten