Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.1.2* dhcp issue/bug when installing/booting HVM domU domains (CentOS 6, unbuntu 11.04 server). Debian/OpenSolaris work fine.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:58:05PM +0200, Mark Schneider wrote:

>>> root@xen411dom0:~# iptables -L -n -v
>>> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 232 packets, 25984 bytes)
>>>   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>
>>> Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
>>>   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>      0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
>>> 0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV match --physdev-in peth0
>>>

>> So you DO have a firewall in place!
>>
>> As a default ALL packets are DROPped!
>> And you're only allowing packets to other direction?
>>

>> So the problem is in dom0 Linux kernel configuration.
>>
> As the current kernel configuration of dom0 (s. below) works (with
> automatic setting of iptable rules) for debian / opensolaris why doesn't
> it work in the same manner for CentOS 6.0 or NetBSD 5.1? (install and
> boot)
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/debian-live-xen/config-3.0.1
>
> What is different for CentOS or NetBSD images? .. PVM-HVM network
> drivers support in kernel of dom0?

The traffic from PVHVM drivers comes from vif-interface, not from tap-interface!
tap-interface is used by the qemu-dm emulated nics, while vif-interface is used
by pv-drivers.

>>> Any idea why? I have attached both tpcdumps.
>>>
>> Because of the firewall rule?
>>
>> -- Pasi
>>
> Thanks a lot Pasi.

-- Pasi