Re: [Xen-users] Re: preferred XEN dom0 OS

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Grant McWilliams
> <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Why not just install a newer version of Xen?

> cause I prefer stability over cutting edge, and previous experiences
> with using XEN that's not native to the OS has given us all kinds of
> horendous results. We use XEN in production so I can't really afford
> to try new things every now and then, and then sit with problems when
> an upgrade didn't go as expected.

Actually, for that requirement you should either:
- stick with Centos, or
- go with XenServer

Since you "prefer stability over cutting edge", I don't think any
newer dom0-kernel version (including the one already upstream in linux
kernel) will be suitable. There will be missing features (e.g. vga
console, blktap) and bugs. They're continually being fixed (see
xen-devel list archive), but I wouldn't recommend either git version
or current upstream kernel for production.

It might be a different story if all xen-related features are already
accepted upstream (either in kernel, or in userspace qemu). But again,
if your concern is stability, I'd recommend to just stick with Centos,
or go with XenServer (even XCP might be too bleeding-edge for your
needs). RHEL5 is still being supported until 2014 (or 2017 if you have
extended life cycle support), so Centos should follow as well.

--
Fajar