Re: [Xen-users] preferred XEN dom0 OS

Am 06.09.2011 um 13:59 schrieb Rudi Ahlers:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Christian Motschke
> <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use XEN 4.x in production since years. I never had any problems with it.
>> But on the other side Debian and XEN is not bleeding edge. But it is well
>> tested and works out of the box (at least for me). At the moment I use it on
>> 4 servers and a 5th as test system. I use a self compiled and patched 3.0
>> Debian kernel (I use the kernel source package from Debian unstable) because
>> I need support for SCST in the kernel.
>>
>> HTH
>> Christian
>>
> Hi Christian,
>
> Which Debian and which XEN kernel do you use?
I use the stable version (Debian 6, called squeeze).
> And which is the standard XEN kernel for that Debian distro?
2.6.32 pv_ops kernel with some XEN patches for pciback etc.
> Apart from the SCST, what other features does your kernel have that's
> not standard?
All the features the stock Debian kernel has (I don't know if Debian kernel
offer special features ;-). I use the sources from Debian for my own kernel. So
the 3.0 kernel has no pciback support, but I patched it with the vga patch. I
used a long time the Standard Debian XEN kernel and my systems ran month
without any errors I patched the Debian kernel sources with the SCST patches.
If you don't need SCST support, you don't need my kernel. BTW, I also have
2.6.32 kernel with SCST support.

> I have about 2% experience with Debian, but back in v3.x days.
2% should be enough to get it running in a day ;-).

> --
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers
> SoftDux