Re: [Xen-users] Debian - DomU on ZFS

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there .
>
> I just come up with the need to migrate my LVM to zfs ,

Is this zfs-fuse, zfsonlinux, or did you switch the dom0 to
opensolaris, or did you have separate storage server with zfs?

> when using LVM I was
> able to reference my LV partitions as /dev/VG/LV,  then within the
> configuration file I could reference the device as phy:/dev/VG/LV, now with
> zfs I've got my disk and the pools as in , mypool/storage1,2,3 and so on.
>
> Now my question is.
>
> I did not find any /dev/ reference to point to in the configuracion file as
> in solaris, like /dev/zvol,  so, should I create an image file and then
> install?

zfs-fuse does not support zvols, and it's not recommended to store VM
images as files (trust me, I tried).

With zfsonlinux you WILL have /dev/zvol/mypool/storage1. That is,
assuming you either use Ubuntu ppa or latest source from git to
install zfsonlinux.

> Will that methood downgrade my I/O  performance or will that be handled bu
> the access methood I use? iSCSI, SAN Storage, Disk Type,  HBA, network speed
> and so on.

Roughly speaking, on the same hardware, using file image on zfs or
zvol, will make i/o performance drop by 50-75% compared to plain LVM.
Again, this is ROUGHLY based on my past tests. YMMV.

> Anyone already installed the combination of -> DomU+ZFS+Debian?

I have a dev system with xen+zvol+RHEL, as well as another one with
xen+zfs-fuse+RHEL.

--
Fajar